The main gate features the school name and motto, “Self-Discipline and Social Commitment” as written by Chairman Mao. All day, every day, this popular landmark attracts crowds of hopeful 老虎父母, especially determined to take photos of their children in front of the Tsinghua University sign.
The Library was built in 1912. Its west wing served as the Original Classroom Building’s book room and was renamed the Library when the Original Classrooms were renamed Tsinghua School in 1928. Additions were constructed between 1987 and 1991 with great care to compliment the original architectural style of the building. The Library contains an area of 27,800 square meters and over 2,000 seats for reading.
The Memorial Gate is the earliest main gate of Tsinghua University. It was built in 1909 and has since served as a capital symbol of the University. Following the campus expansion in 1933, new walls were built along a new, larger perimeter and this original entrance to the campus was renamed the Memorial Gate.
Jinchun Yuan is one of the famous sites on the grounds of Tsinghua University. Located in the West District, it contains many lakes and creeks. In 1913 it was merged into the Tsinghua campus. In 1979 the original structures around the garden were restored. Teachers and students enjoy the park’s relaxing atmosphere.
The Comprehensive Gymnasium is located in the East District of Tsinghua University and includes the east sports fields. The Comprehensive Gymnasium hosts a variety of athletic competitions, training, teaching, and conferences. The stadium includes 5,000 seats.
The Natatorium offers facilities for Olympic training, featuring a 50m x 20m swimming pool, a 25m x 25m diving pool, and audience seating for 1,200 spectators. Its architectural design follows environmentally-friendly concepts and the facility uses ozone disinfection techniques rather than chlorine. The water quality meets drinking water standards.
The Zijing Student Apartments are the biggest university apartment complex in China, composed of 26 buildings and covering over 28 hectares. The Zijing Apartments provide housing for 22,400 students, and offer cafeterias, athletic courts, a sculpture garden, and a variety of stores in the Student Services center.
Originally a bell pavilion built to announce class times for students, this hexagonal pavilion was renamed in 1986 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the death of famous Chinese poet and scholar, Wen Yiduo, who studied at Tsinghua University as well as the Art Institute of Chicago. A statue of the poet sits nearby.
The Original Classroom Building features a classical German style and is located just east of the Great Lawn. Originally called “The First Yard Building,” the first classes ever taught in the university’s history took place in this beautiful landmark.
One of the university’s four early buildings, the West Gymnasium was built between 1916 and 1919. It was designed by Mo Fei and constructed by Tailai Yanghang, with additions erected between 1931 to 1932.
Originally named Shidong Pavilion, this pavilion is a remnant of Xichun Yuan, the royal park. In August of 1978 it was renamed “Ziqing” Pavilion to commemorate the 30th anniversary of renowned poet and essayist Zhu Ziqing’s death.
The Auditorium was built in 1917 at the north end of the Great Lawn, near the heart of Tsinghua campus and the core of the early buildings. The auditorium is still used for performances and offers seating for 1,200. In 2001 it was added to the list of National Key Cultural Relics for Historic Preservation.
The name of this park, “水木清华” translates to “Clean Water and “Flourishing Trees.” Located in the north of the Gongzi Courtyard Offices, students enjoy the park’s serene atmosphere for quiet reflection and romanic rendezvous.
Tsinghua University’s Science Park is located in the southeast part of the campus. This intellectual-intensive area is often referred to as “China’s Silicon Valley” and is home to a variety of technology research companies including Google, Intel, Oracle, Sony, Microsoft, Lenovo, and more.
Department of Language and Literature